Saturday, May 1, 2010

Snow Globes

Recently, I received a snow globe as a gift from two of the members of my cymbal line in the indoor percussion group, Imperial Percussion Theater, that I fondly call my brothers. The funny thing about snow globes is that you can shake, twist, and turn them over as many times as you like, but the "snow" inside will always fall back down to its original position. I wish I could say the same for myself. I wish you could push me around and the snow inside of me wouldn't fall and would remain in its place. These days I feel like anything could shake me and cause me to melt. I guess it's that time of year though, isn't it? Every student this time of year will soon have their finals drawing near like an impending rain storm. I feel like emotionally I am shaken, physically I am exhausted, and for what? A number? (A certain three digit one across the board would be nice). What if the world does end in 2012? I have my doubts that it will, but if it does I'll be able to die knowing I spent my whole life...in school? What if I decided to live my Rent's mantra "No Day But Today"? I start out by spending my whole day outside tomorrow. Swimming, jogging, picnic-ing. (no that doesn't mean I'd be editing pictures...) Anything! For a few days after that I'd probably do the same thing, just because I could. I'd love everyone around me like I had an incurable disease and eat whatever I wanted because my weight wouldn't matter. For two whole years, I'd spend the money I had on whatever I wanted until it ran out (which would probably last a week, maybe). And then what? Would I miss school? Who knows. I guess I appreciate the education I've gotten, but at the same time...if everyone was educated would education still mean the same as it does now, or would it be missed if no one was? I can't wait to go into the education field. I am already aware of the fact that I'm going be making no money and I'm okay with that. I've decided recently that I'm going to teach elementary and I couldn't be more excited. It's like I have a new found lease on life because I chose this for myself, as opposed to it being chosen for me. I have something to look forward to that's going to make me happy, for the rest of my life. Maybe that's a little bit selfish, but I'm okay with that.

1 comment:

  1. So... I've lived the life that you're talking about, one with no direction, and the feeling that you can do whatever because it won't matter. You WILL miss structure, you WILL miss the camaraderie that ONLY students can share with one another... Please love it :)

    ReplyDelete